Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Thank You Sir Can I Have Another pt. 3

After writing my "Plea to the Street Preachers" I was given godly counsel to send it out to as many street preachers that I could. I knew there was a chance that some would take it the wrong way. I am posting the responses to my plea, so we can all learn from the street preachers where the flaws in my plea were. I want to say this...everyone of these guys has been doing it longer and in more places than me. They make some good points, so I want to share the responses from those that thought I was wrong in saying what I said.

This one is from James Lyman from http://www.revivalneeded.com/

Shannon and whoever else is interested,
In response to your email I would like to add a few comments.
1. Certainly as representatives of the Lord Jesus Christ we need to examine our actions and words on the street and keep ourself in check as we preach the word.
2. Brother Ruben brings out a very valid point as to specifics regarding dates, events and individuals.
3. I am curious as to what signs and banners you think should not be lifted up. Again, please be more specific.
4. How do you suggest that we preach to the sodomites and exactly what words "do you believe" would be inappropriate. Sodomite, effeminate, female-looking, confused, wicked, pervert, ungodly, abominable-what do you think of those?
5. Regarding the Mormons, I have never seen anyone utilize the backside technique that you are speaking of but I would like to add that as a former LDS member, some may respond with the compassionate plea to "consider the real Jesus" but most have already been well-versed on the "anti's" and need a direct and straightforward approach. Regarding the Moron issue (in contrast to the word Mormon) at the Hill Cumorah this year one of the head security gentlemen inquired about one of the streetpreachers calling them morons. Certainly unless something was stated that was extremely inappropriate, I am going to defend a streetpreaching brother when dealing with a lost individual. I do not believe that I have ever called a Mormon a moron, however after being approached by this LDS leader I had to ask him the definition of a moron and then asked if someone who believed in Kolob, supernatural undergarments, eternal progression, the moon being inhabited etc. would fit that definition. Is it not "idiotic" to believe such nonsense?
6. While having never carried a toothbrush preaching, I usually am ready for a confrontation by the police. While I do not jubilantly look forward to it, I believe that being prepared is both wise and scriptural. "A prudent man forseeth the evil and hideth himself, but the simple pass on and are punished."
7. Regarding calling someone a "whore" or a "harlot" I have been , preaching on the streets for about 20 years and full time for 4 1/2 and have directly called someone by these words no more than three or four times. About the same amount, perhaps a few more times, I have stated that someone was dressed in the attire of a harlot or that a harlot 100 years ago wore more clothes than the individual was at the time. Last week in Buffalo at the rock concert, a woman, already barely dressed bent over and lifting up her dress, exposing her underclothes (which my wife stated were barely underclothes). This she did in front of young children as well as many men. I told her that she was a whore. Do you believe that was wrong? I say it was not! Again keep in mind that in preaching thousands of times publickly over the last 20 years I have only used that word directly 3-4 times. Here we have a woman exposing herself to children and men in a publick setting! Another woman opened her jacket to completely expose her bra and made every attempt to rub against me! If not for my wife "bodyguarding" me, she would have! What do you recommend in this scenario? Weeping and pleading with her to come to Christ? I say not!8. You mention the Cross of Christ being the offense and surely many times it will be. But so is preaching against sin! Should I preach only the cross and not against sin-I do not believe that would be scriptural. Also I would say it is safe to say that many were offended by Elijah's mocking in 1 Kings 18:27.9. Understanding the intention of your letter to mainly be encouraging us to "weep" "be prepared " and "preach with a broken heart" I certainly can say that we always should be as spiritually prepared as possible, and that weeping and having a broken heart is SOMETIMES and MANY TIMES a factor in our preaching. My disagreement with that statement is that at times the LORD has us go and rebuke and warn without the emotional attachment. Look at how Paul dealt with Elymas in Acts 13. There was no gospel witness, he was warning as he called him a child of the devil etc. Certainly I and most or all of the others on this list grieve much over those that we witness to and warn. My God has no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but there are times when we are called to just warn. I have a message called Warning and Witnessing that I preached some time ago and I would be glad to get a copy to you. Let me add also that as I began going around the country, I got more acquainted with other preachers and at times questioned their words or methods. But the Lord has taught me many lessons as I have grown. I will not always agree with every streetpreachers message, words or methods and surely many will disagree with mine. Unless they are outrageously unacceptable and I can prove from scripture that they are wrong, I will keep my mouth shut. If they were to ask my opinion I would tell them. I also need to be scriptural and go to them personally. I wonder if John the Baptist, Elijah, Stephen and Enoch would have had some differences, even disagreements, about methods and exact words each other used if they were to preach side-by-side. OR WOULD THEY HAVE RECOGNIZED THAT BECAUSE THEY WERE GOD'S MESSENGERS AND ALL ON THE SAME SIDE THEY NEEDED TO SUPPORT EACH OTHER! I leave you with these things and pray that you will take them in the right spirit.

4 comments:

Victoria said...

Wow! I'm impressed that you were bold enough to open yourself to criticism. These men made some valid points, yet, personally, I'm still on the side of bold yet kind. But, maybe it takes all types. No matter how you do it, it takes boldness to go out into the streets and lift your voice for Jesus.

I must say that Sutek is one of our heroes and the word "coward" is never one we would use to describe him.

Mr. Young said...

Gerry Sutek is without doubt one of my hero's and Ron McRae's comments abuot such a servant tell us more about him than he would want us to know.

Victoria said...

Amen!

Vince LaRue said...

I've dealt personally with Mr. Lyman, and have found him to be a self-righteous, bombastic, largely ungodly legalist. I do not doubt that he wants to see souls saved, but from face-to-face personal experience, the man is so full of himself that it's a surprise that he's not dead or in prison.

Check out a couple of his movies here; the first one about Hillary got his support dropped by at least three churches, and the second one was recorded by him in our church's auditorium in response to my comments on the Hillary video.

http://web.mac.com/mc1171611/Movies