Friday, August 17, 2007

"From the Hip"

1 Peter 3:15 - But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

One of the most intimidating aspects (for me) when witnessing is not knowing what question I will be asked. I know that may sound silly, but when you get caught off-guard with a question you can stumble around and lose the opportunity that’s in front of you.

How well can you answer spiritual questions “from the hip”? I mean when someone asks you a spiritual question, can you give a biblical answer…even if your Bible isn’t handy, and you can’t do a word search? Can you answer?

There are people who have questions, and are looking to see if we have answers. I recently talked to an old friend Carl and when he saw that I was reading my Bible he started asking questions that I know have been bothering him for some time. For example: He asked “How can you believe that God literally created the world in a week?”

How would you answer?

Would you just say “Because the Bible says so!”? I mean, that’s good enough for me, but for someone who has no faith in the Bible? His question led into a very good opportunity to explain some of the evidence, and myths that he had been taught. He asked about the dinosaurs, and I got to show him Behemoth in the book of Job, He was astonished!

I say all this to ask my readers (all 5 of them) what questions you have been asked that may have caught you off-guard, or what questions would you predict someone asking in a spiritual conversation. I would like to hear (or read) them so I can examine my preparedness to answer. My idea is to take some questions and try and give my “off the top of my head” answer as if I was answering someone out on the street, and post them so you can in turn criticize me, I mean to make me better not to damage my fragile little emotions : )

So anyways….it’s a cheap way to get comments and material for future blog posts all in one…not bad huh?

5 comments:

Victoria said...

Still thinking of a good question.

Hindsey said...

Whew... Yeah... Wow... look at all those comments coming in... :) I love you, man!

My best example of being unprepared for a question was when I was prompted with, "The Bible doesn't say that Hell is everlasting." I was unable to come up with an answer for him. This was when I first started going out passing out tracts, etc.

Alex said...

Ok, here it is. I prepared you on Sunday, so you've had a couple of days to think it over. What would you say to someone that asks, "Why is God in the Old Testament any different than radical Islam today? He commanded His people to wipe out other nations, just as Islam claims today." Hmmmm?

WEET said...

Good question Alex! Shannon?

Hindsey said...

Shannon, do you intend to answer Alex's question? I thought that was the purpose of this post!?