Saturday, August 11, 2007

My Public Apology

Greetings,

First – I would like to publicly apologize for the biggest mistake I made in sending out “My Plea to the Street Preachers”, and that was using an “open cc”. Never in a million years did I think that it would have had everyone questioning why they were on the list, or why so-and-so was on the list. I was wrong, and if I sent it out again I would have used a “blind cc”.


To answer why you were on the list you only need to look at the following link http://www.preachtruth.org/fellowlabors.html after meeting Larry Keffer I visited his website, and found this link from there. The others that were on this list are people I know, sites that I had visited in the past, or people who I have looked up to in regards to street ministry. It really was not personal, I just looked for the active street preachers, and your names came up.

Second – I would like to publicly apologize to anyone who either was offended or felt targeted on this list. I got many positive replies sent to me, but as many of you have read, I received a certain amount of replies that were less than favorable. Many viewed this as a public rebuke, and I want to clarify that, that was never my intention. I viewed it sort of like a sermon, you preach and hope to encourage as well as challenge. I did not follow the outline in Matthew 18 as many of you pointed out, and here was my reason why…

Matthew 18: 15-17
15: Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. 16: But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. 17: And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.


I did not feel that anyone had trespassed against me. I was not personally offended by anyone. I did not feel as that this was dealing with sin in the body, but rather methods in a movement. Not one of us would agree with Bill Hybel’s methods of ministry, and some of us have even preached against such drivel, but we do not go to him personally because he is not trespassing against us personally. We criticize the methods of the emergent church, as we should, but have any of us sat down with Rob Bell or Brian McLaren?

Third – I’d like to publicly apologize for any sarcasm I used in my replies to any of you. I got in the flesh with a few responses, and I was wrong. I wrote most of my replies with a smile, but tone is rarely conveyed correctly through e-mail.

Fourth – I’d like to publicly apologize for the barrage of e-mails many of you have received because of being on my “open” cc list, again this was a mistake on my part, and I am sorry for bringing you all into this.

Fifth – I’d like to publicly apologize for pointing out the motes in my brother’s eye, and neglecting the beam in my own. If I failed to act biblically in sending out my “Plea” it would be in this area. You guys are out there all the time and have been for many years. For various reasons I am not out at all the events I’d like to be, and I do not face the same crowds as you. I do not know how I would react, only how I would like to.

Finally - I would like to close by saying that what I do not regret is opening up the dialog. I think I learned from this, and have been profited by the whole ordeal. I regret upsetting people, and looking divided.

I still believe that calling people names out of spite is wrong, (even if it’s a name used in the Bible), but I will not pretend that I know your motives, and I will make it a point to always try and assume the best.


I still believe that intentionally provoking the police is wrong in regards to Romans 13, but I will try and always assume that when I see this you are obeying God rather than man, and are justified. This is not said with sarcasm; I know that if we just were to roll over that eventually we’d have all our rights taken away in this arena.

I have said from the beginning that our ultimate goal is the same, to see sinners come to repentance toward God, and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. I will do what I can to accomplish this the way the Lord has me do it, and I will pray for your ministries as you do what you can to accomplish this.

I would ask that we end the mass e-mails. If anyone would like to respond please do it in private, or limited to those you are addressing. I will only answer questions or charges that are sent to me. Also if anyone would like me to remove their e-mail off my blog, I will do so at their request.

God Bless you all, and your ministries.
In Christ, for His Glory

Shannon Young,
2 Tim 2:24-26, Eph 3:8

4 comments:

David S Baker said...

i agree the open cc was a mistake, but i do not think you owe any apology for speaking the truth. the blind cc would have solved all the problems you had. well, thats my opinion any way...

Victoria said...

That "Beam/Mote" sermon was pretty convicting, wasn't it? Bro. Knox did touch on the street preacher topic Friday morning, but, as always, he did it in love! Anyway, I admire your humble apology. The important thing is to be unified in the body of Christ.
May God be glorified and may many be saved!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You are invited to attend the Southeast Open Air Preachers Association 2007 Conference. Details at http://www.Soapasn.com