Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Matthew 6:24


“No man can serve to masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.”

Webster's dictionary defines 'Mammon' as: 1) the false god of riches and avarice. 2) riches regarded as an object of worship and greedy pursuit; wealth as an evil, more or less personified.

How many Christians have been ruined trying to serve both God and money? How tarnished has the name of Christ been by televangelists that have been caught with their hand in the back pocket of those faithfully trying to serve God? How many have walked away from the faith because they were taken advantage of and used by someone serving two masters?

This is a warning to every Christian that we must be singly minded, with our affections, our devotion, and service directed to the One that it is due. David had his priorities right, and therefore his wealth was put in it’s proper place.

1Ch 29:3 - Moreover, because I have set my affection to the house of my God, I have of mine own proper good, of gold and silver, which I have given to the house of my God, over and above all that I have prepared for the holy house,

No comments: