Sunday, August 17, 2008

Matthew 3:8

“Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:”

I got to admit, that I may swing and miss on this one. This verse kind of confuses me, but my guess is that John was looking for evidence of repentance from the Pharisees and Sadducees. If I was to try and name these fruits I would look to the following verses:

Psa 51:17 – Contrition
2Cr 5:17 – A changed life
1Pe 2:2 – A desire for God’s Word

I’m sure there are more, but these are first that come to mind. The other thing that I immediately thought if was all the different kinds of “fruit” or “fruits” mentioned in the Bible. Here is a few.

The fruit of the Spirit – Gal 5:22
Fruits meet for repentance - Mat 3:8
Fruits of righteousness – Phl 1:11
Fruit unto holiness - Rom 6:22
Good and evil fruit - Mat 7:17

No comments: