Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Matthew 5:16


“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.”

A few weeks ago I was teaching about being an example of the believer in “purity” and I used this verse as an object lesson. I lit a little candle inside a little glass, and turned all the lights off. I asked the kids if everyone could see the light from the candle inside the glass. I explained that this is a Christian who is letting his light so shine that others can see it, but then I started mentioning things that we do to that can dim the light that others see. I pulled out my “Sin Markers”…otherwise known as dry erase markers, and with each sin I marked the glass. Slowly the glass began to be covered with blotches of colors, and the light became less bright. The light never changed, but the way others saw it was changed.

When we allow sin into our life we obstruct the light of Christ in us. When we live in a way that pleases God, others see His work in us, and they end up glorifying God.

Eph 5:8 - For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:

1 comment:

BrotherJim said...

Excellent object lesson. I have a quote on my facebook concerning shining the light I thought was pretty awesome from D.L. Moody, We are told to let our light shine, and if it does, we won't need to tell anybody it does. Lighthouses don't fire cannons to call attention to their shining- they just shine. Dwight L. Moody

Nothing darkens that light more than the undeniable presence of sin that is all so evident to all those around us and even more importantly to God Himself.