Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Out of the Box, Into the Market

Ok… I need some help again…criticism, suggestions, ideas all welcome. I just want to lay this idea out to see if it makes any sense to anyone else.

If you are familiar with the public market you know that it is the crossroads of our entire area. From the rural areas to the inner city those who live within driving distance come to shop at the public market.

I have been up there a few times to try and see what types of evangelism can be done. Passing tracts out one time I really noticed some coldness. My guess is that I was not the first to think of that and people are sick of it. Preaching could work, but then I started thinking of something Missionary Jim Tag had said that they did in Spain. He set up a book table and used it to generate conversations. So here’s the idea… how to do it, well I have no clue about that yet.

What if you got a booth at the public market to sell books? There are many books that would by nature generate questions or conversation. I think of “God Does Not Believe In Atheists”, or any of the Creation vs. Evolution books. Any books that would get people to ask questions or engage in debate could be used. Perhaps you could sell some books, but what about taking the conversations and turning them into witnessing opportunities? Do you think that could work? What about also having surveys and just offering a small gift for taking a survey, then using that to begin a spiritual conversation? My father-in-law uses surveys going door to door every Saturday. Do you think that could work?

Here are the main obstacles if it could work.

How much is it to get a booth?
How do you get enough books to sell, or decide what to sell? – Could you cooperate with another bookstore?
Who is going to man it?

Let me know any thoughts you may have

Acts 17:17 - Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I like the survey idea...sounds like a great opportunity!

Anonymous said...

I think about this kind of stuff a lot. How to start the conversaton??? It doesn't ooze out of me they way it does some people.

I think a book table (with controversial sounding titles available) is a fabulous. But I'm sure the cost would be an issue, if your intention is really to engage people and not sell books. A bookstore owner (unfortunately, even the Christian ones like A&O) isn't going to want to "invest" in a table that isn't making a profit. Could you work out something with the church bookstore for "stock"? Could you share a table with someone who is selling items and making a profit, and doesn't mind giving you a corner? Could you get people to donate slightly used books to the cause? The survey idea isn't bad either.

Probably a first place to start is to contact the public market management to find out the cost, rules & regs of having a table there. Second, find a core of people with the same vision who would want to commit their Saturday mornings and/or a financial commitment. I'm interested enough to pray about this, but I am looking for a ministry within my own church. Not that people from different churches can't work together...

Hindsey said...

Yeah, let me know what you find out, Shannon.

Victoria said...

I could possibly find out how much a booth is via people I know.

Also, my husband used to run a similar table at MCC back when he was in college (YEARS ago). It was VERY effective in beginning conversations. Just an open Bible is going to get something going.

I like Rachel's idea about getting used books.

Manning it will definitely be your issue - you're going to be paying for the season whether you have people there or not. Could it go for credit to the institute's Practical Assignment class?

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd mention that I saw a book rack hanging on a post at the market a few weeks ago. At a glance, they seemed to be religious books. I did not get a close look at it -- could be JW booklets, for all I know. No one seemed to be supervising the rack (e.g. making conversation or taking money). Maybe they were just free for the taking. Next time I'm there I plan to investigate this a little more, if it is still there.